My sister sent me this chard pesto recipe from a blog called ‘closet cooking’: Swiss Chard Pesto. The first time I made it, I added spinach and removed the jalapeños…I didn’t have enough chard and my husband doesn’t eat spicy food.
I have made it at least 5 times since then with several variations as I was missing this or that and it was still great every time. This recipe is what I think to be the best combination from all of the variations. I eat it on crackers and bread with sprouts and avocados, but I have also tried it in my vegetarian chili and on pasta.
Swiss Chard & Spinach Pesto
1 Bunch of Chard – remove all of the stems
1 Bunch of Spinach – maybe 10 large leaves
1 Bunch of Cilantro/Coriandre
Juice of 1-2 Limes
1/2 Cup of Green Hulled Pumpkin Seeds
3 Cloves of Garlic
- Corsley chop the first 4 ingredients and add to the food processor
- Toss the pumpkin seeds in a hot pan with a tiny drizzle of olive oil
- They will brown and pop for approx. 3 minutes, then remove and lightly salt them with fine salt on a paper towel
- Add them to the food processor and pulse until everything is well chopped
- Drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture becomes smooth and pesto like