I have been using this Giada de Laurentiis recipe for Alfredo sauce for over a year now. It is light, creamy, full of lemony goodness and fail proof. I can’t recommend it enough. My husband loves it when I use it with those teeny tiny pearl pasta bits. This week at the producers market, I bought my first batch of organic sweet peas this season. They are glorious. I have used them in 3 recipes this week, and here is the first.
Pearl Pasta Alfredo with Sweet Peas
(Alfredo Sauce Recipe by Giada De Laurentiis – Everyday Italian)
1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
6 tbs of unsalted butter (the recipe calls for unsalted, I use salted)
1-2 tsp grated lemon zest
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I also use pecorino b/c that’s what I have on hand)
1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
250g Pearl pasta
1/2 cup of freshly shelled green peas
- In a large heavy skillet, stir 1 cup of the cream and the lemon juice to blend. Add the butter and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until the butter melts.
- Stir in the lemon zest and nutmeg and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until tender.
- Drain and add the pasta to the sauce with the 1/2 cup of cream and the cheese
- Over warm heat, toss in the green peas and stir for about a minute until sauce thickens, then serve immediately.
- Garnish with a little arugula if you have some on hand…really nice little addition of flavor